“To have the benefit of this wonderful invention, the Keys must be inside you. This means that you must be able to call up the images of any Key by a simple act of will. When you can do this, the Tarot will be part of your very flesh and blood, and it will begin to effect far reaching transformations in your thinking and thus in your living.”
-Paul Foster Case
The Emperor is your Authorship.
We write the stories of our lives. We write the future according to our writings of the past as we continue or discontinue the narrative in our present.
The Emperor is related to the Sun, he is creative wisdom, he is The Will embodied, he is The Word.
To gain full power of our Authorship, we need to write our past in truthful memory so that our Discernment becomes clear, so that our Assertiveness is based in the present on honest assessments of our strengths and weaknesses.
The Emperor and The Empress are bonded as a singular interplay. The process of creation and manifestation requires this relationship. The right and left hemisphere of the brain, if you like. Every masterpiece is brought into existence by this interplay. Without The Empress, The Emperor is a frustrated and neurotic tyrant. Without The Emperor, The Empress is repressed from the realization of her creative passions (in other words, she’s a nail biter).
The Emperor’s closest colleague is The Seer. His authority is made legitimate by his thirst for knowledge and his wise choice of counsel. The Emperor makes no decision off the cuff nor is he petty. He does the asking The Seer requires and receives the wisdom of the underworld in all matters upon The Terrace.
The Emperor can admit a mistake, but these are rare.
The Emperor is structure. He acknowledges society and its rules, laws, norms. He understands that all of these may be bent or broken, must, in fact, be bent and broken but only upon analysis and consideration of all that may be lost and all that may be gained.
The Emperor’s power is that of vision. From analysis and discipline, from the wise counsel of The Seer, he achieves a steady course toward the vision he set upon the horizon from his own power to do precisely that.
The Emperor anchors his quest in both the structures of nature and the laws that govern them.
The Emperor is The Word. And his Word is final. You are The Emperor. You are in your Authority. This is your story, so don’t forget to tell it, to write it: Past, Present, and Future. Your power is your vision. And that is that.
The Emperor is your Authorship.
Write your stories well, write them with great vision.
This is Jack Kerouac’s list of essentials for writers.
I think he got it very right here.
Try it out. Everyday. Write your stories. Write them well. Make up yr own list of essentials.
- Scribbled secret notebook, and wild typewritten pages for yr own joy
- Submissive to everything, open, listening
- Try never get drunk outside yr own house
- Be in love with yr life
- Something that you feel will find its own form
- Be crazy dumbsaint of the mind
- Blow as deep as you want to blow
- Write what you want bottomless from the bottom of the mind
- The unspeakable visions of the individual
- No time for poetry but exactly what is
- Visionary tics shivering in the chest
- In tranced fixation dreaming upon object before you
- Remove literary, grammatical and syntactical inhibition
- Like Proust be an old teahead of time
- Telling the true story of the world in interior monolog
- The jewel center of interest is the eye within the eye
- Write in recollection and amazement for yourself
- Work from pithy middle eye out, swimming in language sea
- Accept loss forever
- Believe in the holy contour of life
- Struggle to sketch the flow that already exists intact in mind
- Don’t think of words when you stop but to see picture better
- Keep track of every day the date emblazoned in yr morning
- No fear or shame in the dignity of yr experience, language & knowledge
- Write for the world to read and see yr exact pictures of it
- Book movie is the movie in words, the visual American form
- In Praise of Character in the Bleak inhuman Loneliness
- Composing wild, undisciplined, pure, coming in from under, crazier the better
- You’re a Genius all the time
- Writer-Director of Earthly movies Sponsored & Angeled in Heaven